I am honored and humbled to be selected by the Sonora Community, the Fullerton Joint Union High School District (FJUHSD) Cabinet, Dr. Scambray, our Superintendent, and the FJUHSD Board of Trustees to serve as Principal of Sonora High School. I have been serving in education since 1999 and until now I have only dreamed of such an opportunity. My grandparents told me, "Get all of the education that you can because when I was your age I did not have the same opportunities." They also told me "Do as much as you can for as many as you can for as long as you can." I took those lessons and became the first in my family to graduate from a four-year college Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Art's Degree in History and obtain a Master's Degree in School Administration. I believe that anyone can achieve their dreams and it is my job to do as much as I can to help them get there. My career has given me the opportunity to serve in Virginia Beach, San Bernardino, Fontana, Santa Maria, Lake Elsinore, and ultimately Fullerton. The combination of my family's lessons in life along with my twenty-plus years of experience in various school districts gives me unique perspectives on how to effectively lead Sonora High School now and into the future.
Here are ten little known facts that will help us become better acquainted:
1. Where did you grow up? I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA. I came to California in 2004.
2. What do you like to do in your free time? I like to bike ride with my son, James, who is six, or my daughter, who is 19, currently in college at Texas Tech.
3. Why did you go into education? The importance that my family placed on education and giving unto others.
4. What keeps you in education? Helping others (staff and students) reveal the full academic/instructional potential that, in many cases, is hidden inside of them.
5. What is one odd thing about you? I do not like avocados or guacamole (It might be a southern thing. Please do not kick me out of California.)
6. What is your favorite sport's team? DALLAS COWBOYS (Do not laugh)
7. Who is your favorite athlete? Michael Jordan
8. Did you play any sports when you were in high school? Football (DB/safety). I played trumpet in the band too.
9. What is your favorite dessert? Warm sweet potato pie or warm pound cake with ice cream, or oatmeal raisin cookies. Any of that with a glass of sweet tea...yum. You can take the boy out of the country, but you cannot take the country out of the boy.
10. What is your favorite quote? 1 John 4:11, "Since God so loved us, then we should love each other." This was my senior year quote from high school too.
If there is ever anything that I can do for you, then please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org