FJUHSD Reopening of Athletics and Activities Plan
FULLERTON JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
1051 West Bastanchury Road • Fullerton, California 92833-2247
(714) 870-2801 www.fjuhsd.org
Reopening of Activities and Athletics 2020
To FJUHSD Community,
The District will begin the reopening of activities and athletics. The District will follow guidelines from the California Department of Education, National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC), and the Orange County Health Care Agency COVID-19 Phasing guidelines. Student participation is voluntary and based upon parent discretion. The FJUHSD will begin Phase 2 opening of activities and athletics in a modified capacity beginning June 15, 2020 . Current guidelines do not recommend that vulnerable individuals participate in phase 2.
NFHS guidelines are developed in three phases, which outline pre-workout/contest screenings, limitations on gatherings, facility cleaning, cleaning of activity/athletic equipment, and hydration protocols for each phase. All activities/sports are categorized into three groups, low, moderate, and high risk, based on the amount of person-to-person contact of each activity/sport. Under these guidelines, all activities/sports can return to modified workouts, when adhering to strict protocols for each activity/sport.
Below are the steps that FJUHSD will implement as we begin this process.
● All coaching and activities staff members will attend a site based meeting that specifically covers all rules and expectations that are put in place at this time.
● Notifications will be sent (via Aeries Communications) to all families and students.
● Athletic Clearances: all athletes must be cleared in order to participate. Physical forms will be available on each school’s website. Students will submit forms through the following link: athleticclearance.com
● A detailed plan will be developed by each activity/sport ensuring that guidelines are being followed and will be approved by each school's Athletic Director and Administration.
● All students participating in an activity or sport must turn in a District reopening and liability waiver form signed by a parent/guardian to their coach, director, teacher, or advisor before participating.
● Locker room use will be prohibited with the exception of restrooms, which will be available.
● A maximum of 50 participants will be allowed outdoors and a maximum of 10 participants will be allowed to participate indoors. Participants should maintain social distancing of 6 feet to minimize contact.
● Sharing of equipment and personal items (water bottles, towels, etc.) will not be allowed. Equipment will be cleaned and sanitized after each use by activities staff, coaches, and students.
● Cloth face coverings are recommended to be worn by students during Phases 1, 2, & 3, with the exception of swimming, distance running, or other high-intensity aerobic activity.
● No spectators permitted and parents are to remain in their car during pickup.
● Individuals, who are exhibiting signs of illness, will not be permitted to participate. Workouts may be postponed or canceled in the event a participant/participants test positive for COVID-19.
Phase 2 Guidelines Summary
10 people maximum for indoors--50 people maximum for each outdoor field/space.
Minimum Social Distance of 6-ft distance between individuals.
Locker Rooms may be used with 6-ft Social Distancing.
Lower risk activities/sports competitions and practices may resume.
Modified practices may begin for Moderate risk sports.
There should be no shared athletic towels, clothing or shoes between students.
All athletic equipment, including balls, should be cleaned intermittently during practices and contests.
Hand sanitizer should be plentiful at all contests and practices.
All students shall bring their own water bottle. Water bottles must not be shared.
The State of California and County of Orange may be approved to move to Stage 3 in the near future. As more information regarding Phase 3 is released, parents, students, and staff members will be notified.
XX High School