Your first and most important job is to be a successful student at Sonora High School. Part of this success includes following school guidelines, including those regarding appropriate school dress. Clothing should be neat, clean, and appropriate for school. Students are prohibited from wearing any attire or being groomed in a manner that, in the judgement of the principal/designee, is disruptive to the instructional process.
- Hats, baseball-type caps, or other headgear such as bandannas, visors or hair nets worn on campus or at school activities are to be school-affiliated, medically/religiously approved, or approved by the principal/designee. Shirts and sweatshirts with hoods are permitted, but the hood must be off the head while in the school buildings.
- Spiked collars, spiked wristbands, chains (including wallet chains), belts or other clothing, jewelry, or accessories which could pose a threat to student physical well being and safety are not permitted.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Steel toe shoes are not permitted.
- Garments must be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times.
- No revealing shorts, dresses, or skirts.
- A minimal amount of skin should be showing while student is standing normally.
- No halter-tops, tube tops, or backless tops may be worn.
- No see-through or revealing tops may be worn.
- Shoulder straps on tops should be at least 2 inches wide.
- Offensive, crude or vulgar printing or pictures relating to drugs, tobacco, alcoholic beverages, graffiti, violence, or those that are sexually suggestive are not acceptable.
- Any attire that may provoke others to acts of violence is not permitted.
- Anything resembling gang* attire is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to any apparel, jewelry, emblem, badge, symbol, accessory, manner of grooming, and graffiti written on notebooks, backpacks, etc.
- Pants must be appropriate for correct waist size of student.
- No military style belts with initials are allowed.
- Knee length shorts are not to be worn with knee length socks.
- No dramatically oversized button-down long-sleeved shirts, oversized white T-shirts or other shirts modified with creases or pleats on the front or back are allowed.
- No pajamas or slippers to be worn.
*Due to the fact that gang attire changes, the administration in consultation with the School Resource Officer will determine definitions of what is gang-related.
If a student violates these standards, on the first offense the student will be asked to take whatever steps are necessary to meet the expected guidelines. This may involve sending the student home to change the clothing. Parents will be notified if deemed necessary. Repeated violations of the dress code will result in additional disciplinary action, which may include suspension from school for willful defiance.