Summer School Health Course Information For Parents
THE FULLERTON JOINT UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
Parent/Guardian Notification Letter for Health Instruction
California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act* (CHYA), requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school or junior high school and once in high school, starting in grade 7. Per the CHYA, instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
- Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
- Information about sexual orientation and gender identity
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations
Parents/guardian may examine the APEX instructional materials by following the directions at the link below. There is also a two-minute video explaining how to navigate the APEX curriculum.
Parents have the right to opt out of this instruction, but not the entire health course. If you have questions, please see the summer school principal at your specific school. If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health or HIV prevention education, please give a written request to the summer school principal at your child’s school. An alternate lesson will be assigned.
Dr. Karl Zener
Executive Director Administrative Services
*CALIFORNIA HEALTHY YOUTH ACT SEXUAL HEALTH EDUCATION : EDUCATION CODE §§ 51930-51939